Are you considering doing a juice cleanse to kick off the new year?
Lets break down some of the pros and cons of juice cleansing, and why a fasting-mimicking approach might offer a more convenient and nutrient-rich solution for your health and wellness goals.
Juice cleanse overview
Juice cleansing, a popular fasting method, involves the consumption of freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juices while abstaining from solid food. The goal is typically to give your digestive system a break and get in as much nutrients in as possible. The juices contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, but lack fibre, protein and fats. In addition, a juice cleanse may lead to temporary weight loss, and give you a boost of energy and mental clarity. A cleanse typically last from one day to several weeks.
However, one should be careful before beginning a juice fast, as there are some potential drawbacks to consider.
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Juice cleanses lack essential nutrients such as protein and fats, which can potentially lead to nutrient deficiencies if the juice cleanse is done over a long period of time.
- Blood sugar spikes
- High-sugar juices can cause rapid spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels.
- Digestive issues
- Some people experience uncomfortable digestive issues, such as bloating and diarrhoea during juice cleanses. This is due to the lack of fibre, which is an important macronutrient for gut health and digestion.
- Temporary weight loss
- A juice cleanse does not usually result in sustainable fat loss. Sudden drops in weight are likely to be from water weight loss rather than fat.
- Risk of dehydration
- Without fibre, high volumes of fluid intake can lead to loose and watery bowel movements causing dehydration and depletion of essential electrolytes.
- A juice cleanse can be challenging to adhere to due to the monotony of consuming just liquids.
Fasting-mimicking with the Eat by Alex reSET Program:
reSET is a carefully designed 5-day restricted calorie and nutrient dense fasting-mimicking program that mimics the effects of water fasting, while still providing essential nutrients. reSET contains a variety of nutrient dense foods such as vegetables, nuts, seeds, and other healthy fats. Here are some of the advantages of fasting-mimicking over juice cleansing:
- Nutrient rich
- Whilst juice cleanses lack essential nutrients, fasting-mimicking is specifically designed to provide your body with enough nutrients so that it is not depleted.
- Digestive health
- Unlike juice cleanses, fasting-mimicking includes fibers crucial for a healthy digestive system.
- Metabolic changes
- Fasting-mimicking induces metabolic changes within your body. This can lead to sustained weight loss, opposed to temporary weight loss resulting from juice cleansing.
- reSET is easier to complete and repeat several times a year. This is thanks to the ability to consume a variety of delicious snacks, soups, and shots providing a satisfied palate and more energy.
While juice cleanses may offer some benefits, the nutrient-rich and convenient approach of fasting-mimicking with reSET provides a more comprehensive solution for your health and wellness journey. That being said, juices are delicious and amazing to enjoy unrelated to cleansing!