Cayenne peppers are a type of chili pepper originally grown in Central and South America. They are closely related to bell peppers and jalapeños and have been used in many different medicinal and cooking traditions for thousands of years. They are a classic at Eat by Alex and we use ground cayenne pepper powder at least once a day in shots, dressings, or dinner. Next will be in a shake with watermelon this summer.
These peppers boast an impressive nutrition profile, which includes a variety of antioxidants that are beneficial for your health. Here is what you get with a single tablespoon and % of Recommended Daily Intake:
Vitamin A: 44% , Vitamin E: 8% , Vitamin C: 7% , Vitamin B6: 6%, Vitamin K: 5%, Manganese: 5%, Potassium: 3%, Riboflavin: 3%.
5 SCIENCE-BACKED BENEFITS OF CAYENNE PEPPER
- The capsaicin in cayenne peppers may help boost your metabolism. However, its effect is smaller than what popular science claims, and you may build up a tolerance if continued.
- The capsaicin in cayenne peppers may help reduce your hunger, helping you eat less throughout the day. This is due to the intense and highly satisfying hot flavour it brings to your food.
- Cayenne peppers may help improve your digestive health and reduce your risk of stomach ulcers.
- Capsaicin has powerful pain relief properties such as joint and muscle, lower back and post-surgery pain.
- Capsaicin has shown promise in cancer research, although human studies are needed before any conclusions can be made.
Capsaicin, the active ingredient in cayenne peppers, is what gives them their medicinal properties as well as their hot taste. In fact, how hot a cayenne pepper is directly proportional with its capsaicin content.
RISKS AND PRECAUTIONS
Cayenne peppers are generally safe to eat. However, if you take blood thinners or blood pressure medication, check with your doctor before incorporating cayenne peppers into your diet.
In conclusion, cayenne peppers are easy to incorporate into your diet. Try adding a pinch of it to some of your favourite meals like we do at EATbyalex.